This document was last modified on May 14, 2018.
BloggingTechTips.com is committed to safeguarding your privacy. Contact us if you have any questions or problems regarding the use of your Personal Data and we will gladly assist you.
Visit our Privacy Tools page to request to view or delete your private information that we have collected.
- Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
- Processing – any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
- Data Subject – a natural person whose Personal Data is being Processed.
- Child – a natural person under 16 years of age.
- We/us (either capitalized or not) – the owner(s) of BloggingTechTips.com.
Data Protection Principles
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited with a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Data Subject’s rights under GDPR
The Data Subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have to right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
Data we gather & access to Personal Data
We aim to be as transparent about our gathering and use of data as possible. We only work with Processing partners who are able to ensure adequate level of protection to your Personal Data. We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so. We might disclose your Personal Data to third parties if you have consented to it or if there are other legal grounds for it.
Personal data gathered directly via this website comes from a few obvious sources – users subscribing to the free email newsletter and blog post comment submissions – and some not as obvious sources – server logs for Nginx and NinjaFirewall.
- With regards to this site’s email newsletter, the only information that is collected by the submission form is the email address of the subscriber – which is provided with consent of the subscriber. Any subscriber may remove their consent at any time by unsubscribing to the list.
- Information collected includes your name, email address, comment, and optionally your website address – should you wish to leave it. This information is provided with consent of the user. Consent can be withdrawn at any time. Users can request their comments be anonymized at any time.
- Nginx logs would typically record IP addresses of server activity, however, with site traffic being routed through Cloudflare (mentioned below) all IPs that would be recorded from each site user are instead replaced with IPs from Cloudflare. As a result, no personally identifying information is recorded in this website’s Nginx logs.
- The NinjaFirewall software that runs on this site’s server records IP addresses of threats that it blocks in it’s logs. However, there is an option to anonymize IP addresses in the same manner as I’ve implemented for Google Analytics (mentioned below) preventing the possibility of personal data being recorded in it’s logs.
Our processing partners
Some personal data is made available to us through third parties. Additionally, We do not share your Personal Data with strangers, however, some third parties have access to some of the data that we collect as a consequence of providing services to facilitate the operation of this website and it’s associated services or to enhance your customer experience.
This website uses services provided by Cloudflare to speed up the delivery of content as well as function to improve site security in the event of a DDOS or other attack. While Cloudflare doesn’t provide us with access to any personal data, as a part of offering their services may have access to personal data – such as IP address or the content of blog comments – as a part of providing services.
DigitalOcean provides the cloud server infrastructure that this website is hosted on. As a result, they may have access to any information stored within this website’s server environment – including site content and server logs. The only site content that contains any personally identifying information is blog comments – which are publicly available on the site. As mentioned above, Nginx web server and NinjaFirewall logs contain anonymized IP addresses only and cannot be used to directly identify any user.
Further information on DigitalOcean’s security and privacy policies can be found here.
This website uses services provided by Google Analytics to monitor the popularity of website content as well as information related to the referral sources of website traffic. This data is used to help determine the types of content that site users prefer as well as what efforts are the most effective when promoting this website’s content.
As a part of these efforts, Google Analytics typically collects IP addresses – which typically can be used as a method to identify website users. We have implemented Google Analytics in such a way that IP addresses are anonymized so that an exact identification CANNOT be made without affecting necessary analytics data. Details on this implementation can be found here.
Analytics data from this website is configured to be deleted in the quickest amount of time allowed by Google – 14 months.
This website uses services provided by Mailerlite to manage automated email functions such as our free email newsletter. As a result of this, Mailerlite has access to the list of email addresses collected via this website. Additionally, when Mailerlite processes your subscription, they record your IP address and, if possible, the country in which you are located, at the time you made your subscription. Lastly, all activity in Mailerlite is data/time stamped starting with the date and time you have subscribed. This includes data about all messages sent and whether they have been opened or generated a click from the reader.
This website participates in a number of affiliate programs as a method of monetizing its content. We make mention of this here to bring attention to the fact that the only information that we typically share with affiliate programs are a unique ID to identify that we are the source of the traffic they have received such that any products or services purchased as a result of the referral are credited accordingly. While we do not directly share any personally identifying information with third party affiliate programs.
How we use your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data in order to:
- Provide our service to you. This includes for example registering your account; providing you with other products and services that you have requested; providing you with promotional items at your request and communicating with you in relation to those products and services; communicating and interacting with you; and notifying you of changes to any services.
- Enhance your customer experience.
- Fulfill an obligation under law or contract.
We use your Personal Data on legitimate grounds and/or with your Consent.
On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To identify you.
- To provide you a service or to send/offer you a product.
- To communicate either for sales or invoicing.
On the ground of legitimate interest, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To send you personalized offers* (from us and/or our carefully selected partners).
- To administer and analyze our client base (purchasing behavior and history) in order to improve the quality, variety, and availability of products/ services offered/provided.
- To conduct questionnaires concerning client satisfaction.
As long as you have not informed us otherwise, we consider offering you products/services that are similar or same to your purchasing history/browsing behavior to be our legitimate interest.
With your consent we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To send you newsletters and campaign offers (from us and/or our carefully selected partners).
- To provide you with a requested product or service.
- For other purposes we have asked your consent for.
We Process your Personal Data in order to fulfill obligations rising from law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We reserve the right to anonymize Personal Data gathered and to use any such data. We will use data outside the scope of this Policy only when it is anonymized.
We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here, but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- The link between purposes, context and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further Processing.
- The further Processing would not harm your interests.
- There would be appropriate safeguards for Processing.
We will inform you of any further Processing and purposes.
How we secure your data
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data (such as HTTPS). We use anonymizing and pseudonymizing where suitable. We monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks through a software based firewall as well as the third party Cloudflare CDN service.
Even though we try our best we can not guarantee the security of information. However, we promise to notify suitable authorities of data breaches. We will also notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children. We do not target children with our content/services.
Cookies and other technologies we use
A cookie is a tiny text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that is used to help make sites work. Only we can access the cookies created by our website. You can control your cookies at the browser level. Choosing to disable cookies may hinder your use of certain functions.
- Functionality cookies – these cookies provide functionality that makes using our service more convenient and makes providing more personalized features possible. For example, they might remember your name and e-mail in comment forms so you don’t have to re-enter this information next time when commenting.
- Analytics cookies – these cookies are used to track the use and performance of our website and services
You can remove cookies stored in your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some 3rd party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.